Sexual Assault & Finances

Sexual Assault and Finances

Please note: The information on these pages provides general information only. It is not specific legal advice addressing your specific situation. For personal legal advice, contact AVOICE at 1-888-343-4414.

An act of sexual violence often causes unexpected expenses that can disrupt your life and create unneeded stress. However, Texas law may offer a solution. Please contact AVOICE to find out what relief might be available.

Crime Victims’ Compensation:

If you’ve suffered economic loss as a result of a crime, and you’ve reported the crime to police, you may be eligible for compensation from the state Crime Victims’ Compensation (CVC) fund. CVC can cover a certain amount of medical costs, moving expenses, lost wages, and counseling expenses.


All crime victims have the right to request that their attackers financially compensate them in criminal court.  This is called restitution.  You should let the prosecutor know if you are interested in seeking restitution from the person who assaulted you.

Suing Your Attacker:

Even if no criminal charges have been filed, you may be able to receive financial compensation by suing the perpetrator. You might also have rights against a “third party” who is responsible for allowing the crime to occur (e.g., a bar, store, parking garage, landlord, college or university, hotel, etc.). Please note: AVOICE is prohibited from filing lawsuits for monetary awards. If you are interested in such a lawsuit, you can contact the State Bar of Texas Lawyer Referral Service at (800) 252-9690 to find an attorney.

When you are ready, contact AVOICE at 1-888-343-4414, Monday-Friday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm.

Comments are closed