Shelter Advocate (SafePlace Campus)
who WE are
- We’re The SAFE Alliance, a merger of Austin Children’s Shelter and SafePlace.
- We’re a registered, 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, spanning two beautiful campuses on several acres in beautiful Austin, Texas.
- We’re a diverse, passionate group of more than 335 staff with a vision of a just and safe community, free from violence and abuse, and a mission to lead in ending sexual assault and exploitation, child abuse and domestic violence through prevention, intervention, and advocacy for change.
- Our staff were named “Every Day Superheroes” by the Austin Chronicle; we’re a two-time Austin-American Statesman’s “Top Workplace” winner for years 2015 and 2016; and we were named a “Best Nonprofit” in 2017 by the Nonprofit Times.
who YOU are
- You’re a strong believer that all people should have lives that are free from violence and abuse.
- You’re someone who cares about positive client and customer relations. You build strong relationships, and you deliver effective client and customer-centric solutions.
- You’ve are impeccable decision maker. Your decisions are timely, and they’ll help the organization move forward.
- You value differences, recognizing that different perspectives and cultural diversity make the world a better place to be.
- Your interpersonal skills are on point. You easily relate openly and comfortably with very diverse groups of people.
- You’re resilient, rebounding from setbacks and adversity with both poise and ease.
- You’re resourceful. You know how to secure and deploy resources both effectively and efficiently.
- You’re trustworthy. You gain confidence and the trust of others through integrity and forthright honesty.
what WE need YOU to do for us
We need you to fill the role of Shelter Advocate. This is a FULL TIME, Salaried NON-EXEMPT position. You’ll wow us by masterfully performing the following key duties and responsibilities:
- Provide support and guidance to survivors of child abuse, sexual abuse, domestic violence and/or human trafficking residing in our shelter program.
- Provide a risk assessment and safety planning on an ongoing basis and guide survivors through their personalized safety planning.
- Provide crisis intervention, and de-escalation to survivors residing in our shelter in a trauma informed manner.
- Provide ongoing communal living and community building support through a constant presence in the resident hall you are assigned to and through facilitation of a weekly resident hall meeting.
- Provide short-term case management and information and referral services to internal and external resources to help meet goals related to establishing self-sufficiency goals.
- Knowledge of systems in relation to services around health, basic needs, legal, childcare, housing, financial assistance, educational, employment, transportation and access to governmental benefits.
- Be able to work closely with an interdisciplinary team while being a lead staff to assigned clients.
- Maintain flexibility with a schedule that that allows for meeting the needs of clients; may be required to work one evening out of the week.
to be successful in this role, WE’LL need YOU to
- Possess a Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work, or related field required.
- Two years’ experience in human services is required; however, two years of professional experience in human services may be substituted for each year of bachelor’s level education.
- Fluent in Spanish verbal and written preferred.
- Possess excellent communication and listening skills.
- Knowledge of issues and systems related to child abuse, domestic violence and sexual abuse or homelessness preferred
- Must maintain flexibility and show demonstrated ability to take responsibility for a diverse number of projects, including advocacy related paperwork among other types of administrative tasks, and complete them in a timely manner in a fast paced environment.
- Possess an idea of database entry knowledge and basic computer literacy skills.
- Pass all required criminal history background checks (including an FBI fingerprint check), as well as submit to a pre-employment drug screen and TB test.
- Adhere to our Guiding Principles, Mission, Core Competencies and Confidentiality Policy.
how WE’LL make it worth YOUR while
- We will pay you a salary of $15.00 to $16.50 an hour.
- We’ll pay for your medical, life and short-term disability insurance.
- We will give you 15 accrued paid time off days in the first year, and 22 days in the second year, capping out at 30 days after year seven.
- We’ll pay you for our six agency holidays and four additional personal holidays to be used at your discretion.
- We’ll contribute 2% to your 403(b) retirement, and we’ll kick in an additional 1% if you agree to match it.
- We understand that you have commitments outside of the workplace, and we’ll do our very best to offer you some flexibility in your work schedule.
- We’ll offer you discounted day care for your kiddos at one of our two onsite day care centers, as enrollment allows.
- We’ll provide you with an amazing work environment where you’ll get to make a difference every day.
- You don’t need to call us, just follow the link below.
- We promise we’ll get in touch with you by phone or email.
- Here’s the link to apply: http://jobs.safeaustin.org/apply/njzTQPNWDD/Shelter-Advocate?source=TAASA